Winter Kale Super Salad
Winter Kale Super Salad is a gorgeous salad that is perfect for the holidays. It is full of nutrients, amazing flavor, and it makes enough to feed a crowd.
- 2+1 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 shallots
- 1 1/2 cups chopped dried cranberries
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 whole lemon juice and zested
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 cups kale chopped
- 24 Brussel sprouts thinly sliced/shredded
- 3 small heads of broccoli finely chopped
- 1 pomegranate use all the seeds
- 3 apples I used Honeycrisp, chopped
- 1 cup pistachios
- 1 1/2 cups bacon bites I used fresh bacon, cook and roughly chopped
- 8 ounces crumbled goat cheese
Over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large saute pan. Add finely sliced shallots and cook for at least 5 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat, set aside until you are ready to combine salad.
Add garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes.
Then add chopped cranberries, red wine vinegar, honey, remaining tablespoon of olive oil and lemon juice and zest, and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
Remove from heat, set aside until you are ready to combine with the salad.
In a large salad bowl add kale, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, pomegranate seeds, apples, pistachios, and bacon. Toss to combine. Add dressing and goat cheese if desired and toss to combine.
Serve immediately or set in the refrigerator until ready to serve. This Winter Kale Super Salad can be made 2-3 hours in advance, I love the dressing "marinating" the kale and everything else.
Calories: 321kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 18mg | Sodium: 398mg | Potassium: 1036mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 6555IU | Vitamin C: 207.2mg | Calcium: 192mg | Iron: 3.2mg