Skinny Double Chocolate Banana Muffins – Made with whole grains, flaxseed, Greek yogurt, and dark chocolate, you will love this healthier delicious treat.
So yes, I will admit that these Skinny Double Chocolate Banana Muffins are only another reason I am recently addicted to healthier muffin recipes. I honestly did think it could get much better with my recipes for Blueberry Banana Muffins or my Healthy Banana Chocolate Chips Muffins but I was wrong. Granted all three recipes are amazing but you add double chocolate to anything, well let’s get real chocolate gives everything a leg up.
I didn’t really make muffins until this school year. I stumbled into muffin making when I was trying to find a treat that my kids would love and not complain about, yet still make with whole grains and maybe a few other things, like flaxseed that they wouldn’t really notice. I love these muffins. My son, Madden, aka picky eater, hates dark chocolate and I didn’t think he would notice but he did. So his request is to next time just make chocolate banana muffins sans chocolate chips. I said deal and now you know what I am doing today.
Now the rest of the kids devoured these. In fact, Jojo ate one on the way to dance praising me the whole time – YAY – mom win! And Jersey along with two of her friends ate them on their way to yoga and Zumba class. I love my gym as they offer kid classes which are included in my membership. So every Monday night they have yoga from 4:15 to 5:00 pm and then Zumba from 5:05 to 5:45 pm. During this time I run, stretch and lift weights. Two hours at the gym and I don’t feel one bit of mom guilt.
I honestly can’t figure out why I feel guilty headed to the gym when my family is awake. Literally, if I don’t make in the early morning or while the kids are all at school, I don’t go because I feel bad. Now you would think because all 5 of my kids are in school that I would have all this “time” to head the gym. Well, friends blogging is a full-time job, as is being a mom, wife, housekeeper, chauffeur and everything else that we do as women, spouses, and moms. So funny that I thought getting to the gym would be easier when all the kids were in school. Really I just need to find a routine that works for me. And I am still in the process of finding that. Frustrating for sure, but I will soon find a groove I am hoping.
But here is one thing I know, I will love having these Skinny Double Chocolate Banana Muffins and I won’t feel all too bad. We have cut out desserts at night completely except on Sunday. And our after school snacks are fruits, veggies, hummus, mashed avocados and once in a while these Skinny Double Chocolate Banana Muffins. As they don’t just make a delicious snack but breakfast as well.
If you are on the search for some delicious healthier muffin recipes don’t forget to check a few of these out – you will love them all. Blueberry Banana Muffins, Healthy Banana Chocolate Chips Muffins Healthy Applesauce Muffins, Healthy Carrot Zucchini Muffins and Healthy Maple Oat Muffins.
How do you make Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins?
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spray 12 cup muffin tin with olive oil cooking spray & set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder,baking soda, cinnamon, flax seed and salt.
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together milk, egg, yogurt (or sour cream), olive oil, honey, and vanilla extract.
Whisk until well combined & then stir into flour mixture.
Stir flour and yogurt mixture until well combined.
Fold in chocolate chips.
Divide batter evenly into muffin tin & top with remaining chocolate chips, sprinkling a few onto of each muffin batter.
Place in preheated oven and bake for 22-24 minutes.
Allow muffins to cool for 5-10 minutes in muffin tin.
Then remove and cool on a baking rack.
Devour immediately or store in a sealed container once cooled
Don’t forget to pin this recipe for Skinny Double Chocolate Banana Muffins to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Skinny Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon oil, I used olive oil coconut, canola, and vegetable oil also works
- 4 ripe bananas about 1 3/4 cups
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons flax seed optional
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips more to top muffins, if desired
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.Spray 12 cup muffin tin with olive oil cooking spray & set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder,baking soda, cinnamon, flax seed and salt.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together bananas, milk, egg, yogurt (or sour cream), olive oil, honey, and vanilla extract.Whisk until well combined & then stir into flour mixture.
- Stir flour and yogurt mixture until well combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly into muffin tin & top with remaining chocolate chips, sprinkling a few onto of each muffin batter. Place in preheated oven and bake for 22-24 minutes.
- Allow muffins to cool for 5-10 minutes in muffin tin. Then remove and cool on a baking rack. Devour immediately or store in a sealed container once cooled