Made with 7 simple ingredients, this Best Ever Coffee Cake is a traditional yellow cake with a classic cinnamon & brown sugar swirl and topping.
I call this Best Ever Coffee Cake “Shelia’s Coffee Cake” because my mom’s dear friend Shelia made it for us all the time and gave my mom the recipe. I had the best childhood and many of those memories were with my parent’s dearest friends: the Augustine’s, Vilhauer’s and Gotschall’s. We were all like family.
Shelia Augustine was a gem, and on top of that, she made the best sweet treats EVER! Every camping trip was adorned with her goodies, half of the reason I loved going. But the most coveted recipe of hers was her coffee cake. From the taste of it, one would have assumed she worked on it for hours, slaving away in the kitchen till the wee hours of the night making this delicious treat. Oh were we wrong! Shelia gave the recipe to my mom and we were shocked to find out how simple and easy it was.
7 simple ingredients and you are on your way to coffee cake perfection.
Anytime I give this Best Ever Coffee Cake to a friend or neighbor, they always, and yes, I mean always say, “this is the best ever coffee cake” or “I never knew coffee cake was this good”. I have given away the recipe more times than I remember.
This Best Ever Coffee Cake will be known to the masses thanks to Shelia and her willingness to always share her amazing recipes. Although Shelia is no longer with us today. Her love and laughter will never be forgotten and her recipes passed on for generations. Love & miss you Shelia.
Cheers to recipes that create memories and the dear friends who “bake” them. Enjoy! XOXO San
How do you make coffee cake?
Preheat oven to 350; grease 9×13 metal pan.
Mix all the ingredients for the cake in a mixer for 7 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix together brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
Once the cake is done mixing for 7 minutes, pour half of the batter in the greased 9×13 metal pan.
Sprinkle ½ of the brown sugar mix over the cake in the pan.
Pour the remaining batter on and sprinkle with remaining sugar.
Place in oven and bake 25-35 minutes.
Or until the cake is set and is pulling away from the edges.
Let it cool completely so it doesn’t crumble when you cut and serve.
What is coffee cake?
Coffee cake is a sweet, dense cake with a cinnamon sugar crumb topping.
It is usually served with coffee or tea for breakfast.
What to eat or drink with coffee cake?
I love having a slice of coffee cake for or with breakfast!
It goes perfect with any hot drink, coffee, tea, etc…
A personal favorite is a hot cup of tea and a slice of cake on a cold winter morning!
Don’t forget to pin this for later to your favorite Pinterest board.
Shelia’s Coffee Cake
- Cake Ingredients
- 1 yellow cake mix I like Duncan Hines Just use the mix, don’t not follow the directions on the back!
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup canola or vegetable oil
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup instant vanilla pudding
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cinnamon Swirl & Topping Ingredients
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350; grease 9x13 metal pan.
- Mix all the ingredients for the cake in a mixer for 7 minutes (this is key to make the pudding set). I love to use my Kitchen Aid mixer for this!
- Meanwhile, mix together brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Once the cake is done mixing for 7 minutes, pour half of the batter in the greased 9x13 metal pan. Sprinkle ½ of the brown sugar mix over the cake in the pan.
- Pour the remaining batter on and sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Place in oven and bake 25-35 minutes. Or until the cake is set and is pulling away from the edges. Let it completely cool so it does crumble when you cut and serve it.