Italian Almond Biscotti
I love biscotti! Especially on the side of my hazelnut steamer from Starbucks. I had never really found a recipe that I loved that was until Jamie aka friend and mom extraordinaire gave me one. Since that day, I have made this recipe literally hundreds of times. We give it away for Christmas gifts and this is a bigger seller for me during the holiday season.
Now I must mention, that when I make this recipe I double it because I literally eat ½ the dough. The recipe below is NOT doubled. Hope you enjoy this as much as we do!
2 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter or margarine (softened)
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoon almond extract (you can also use vanilla)
1 cup almonds, walnuts, or hazelnuts, sliced
Amaretto or Hazelnut liquor to drizzle over finished biscotti
Melted chocolate to dip baked biscotti in
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Stir together flour, salt, and baking powder 3 times.
- Beat sugar, butter, until light. Add eggs one at a time and add flavoring. Beat again.
- Combine mixtures and add nuts. Roll into 2 logs. Press down slightly. If mixture is too soft, refrigerate for 30 minutes or add more flour.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Cool. Slice logs on the diagonal, lay flat on the cookie sheet and bake again at 250 for 15-20 minutes until lightly browned.
My review: I loved it dipped in dark chocolate topped with slivered almonds.
Kids review: The kiddos will eat this the plain Jane way, with dark or white chocolate but like me they love the dough!!!