Four Cheese Chicken Pasta Bake is a rich and creamy pasta bake made with a four-cheese sauce, chicken, and noodles. Easy to prepare, even better to share.
Let me start by saying I was not a big cheese fan until I met my husband. His four major food groups in no particular order are meat, ranch dressing, cheese, and more cheese. It doesn’t matter what kind. He’s infamous at Colorado State University for hustling a giant 35 lb. cheese wheel from the staff at the Allison Hall cafeteria, which lasted him and his roommates all of 3 weeks. They even removed the lower two shelves from their fridge for the behemoth cheddar block to reside.
He was also the first person to make me a blue-cheese sauce (for steaks of course) while we were dating. Although I already loved him, this definitely was an added bonus. All our kids, especially our girls, love cheese just as much as Jake if not a little more. But it was a dish at a fancy local restaurant, Jay’s Bistro, which inspired this recipe.
At my sister’s rehearsal dinner a few years ago, we realized there wasn’t a whole lot of kid-friendly selections, so we asked for the lobster mac and cheese, hold the lobster, for our little ones. When it came out, my husband tried it to make sure it wasn’t too hot. He instantly urged me to taste it. We ordered more and ended up eating it all. The kids can have the filet with port demi-glace – we get the mac n’ cheese.
I thought I would try something similar. To add some protein, I substituted chicken for the lobster because it’s such an easy thing to add to any dish. This turned out rich and creamy, and I ended up giving half of it to one of my pregnant friends who is due any day now. She later texted me that her husband ate most of it before dinner, and her two-year-old finished what was left that night.
So just like my husband, here’s a cheesy keeper.
Enjoy! XOXO San
How do you make this Four Cheese Chicken Pasta Bake?
Heat oven to 350. Spray square 9×9 or oval dish with cooking spray. Cook pasta as directed and drain.
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in broth. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly; reduce heat to low. Stir in mascarpone, white cheddar cheese, Gouda, parmesan and half-and-half. Allow all cheese to melt and meld together while continuously stirring. Once completely mixed together and cheese is melted, stir in chicken.
Add pasta to chicken mixture; toss gently to mix well. Spoon into baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake uncovered about 15-25 minutes or until hot in the center. Enjoy!
My favorite kitchen tools used to make this Four Cheese Chicken Pasta Bake:
This post may contain affiliate links. See my Full Disclosure for further details.
SERVING SPOON: I love to have a gorgeous and generously sized spoon to serve with. I prefer to not have slots in my spoon so you can enjoy all the delicious sauces.
SAUCEPAN: I am a total snob after having an assortment of pots in our cupboard over the years. After getting some Calphalon pots on sale at my local grocer, I won’t try anything else. They are affordable and durable – a win, win in our home
MEASURING CUPS: Nothing beats a good set of measuring cups that last a long time. I love metal measuring cups because of their durability.
MEASURING SPOONS: I have to have a metal set of measuring spoons on hand. The plastic ones just don’t last long in our house thanks in large part to the garbage disposal.
Don’t forget to pin this to your favorite Pinterest board to save for later!
Four Cheese Chicken Pasta Bake
- 1 pound Fusilli Bucati Corti or any desired pasta, boiled to al dente and drained
- 9 tablespoons butter
- 4 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 14.5 ounces chicken broth 14.5 ounces chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup+ 2 tablespoons Parmigiano-Reggiano grated
- 1 cup+ 2 tablespoons Gouda cheese grated
- 1 cup+ 2 tablespoons sharp white cheddar cheese grated
- 6 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 10 ounces cooked chicken breast sliced or cubed, I like grilled chicken
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese for topping grated
- Heat oven to 350. Spray square 9x9 or oval dish with cooking spray. Cook pasta as directed and drain.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in broth. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly; reduce heat to low. Stir in mascarpone, white cheddar cheese, Gouda, parmesan and half-and-half. Allow all cheese to melt and meld together while continuously stirring. Once completely mixed together and cheese is melted, stir in chicken.
- Add pasta to chicken mixture; toss gently to mix well. Spoon into baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake uncovered about 15-25 minutes or until hot in the center. Enjoy!
Kids review: Sadly, when I made this all my kids were down with some horrible virus that we picked up while cruisin’ in the Bahamas. There were some leftovers that my daughter Jojo, the cheese addict, was able to try, and she loved it. My husband would always substitute boneless, skinless chicken thighs for the white chicken meat, but he and I inhaled it for dinner, and lunch and dinner the next day it was so good.