Everyone has their variation of Olive Garden’s Zuppa Toscana and this is our family’s take. We love cheese, so we add it in the soup while it simmer in addition to topping it with even more. Bon appetite!
- ½ purple onion, chopped
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups diced red potatoes, skinned
- 3 cups kale, roughly chopped
- 1 lb. spicy Italian sausage
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup + more for topping parmesan or asiago cheese, grated
- Salt & white pepper to taste
In large heavy bottomed pan heat olive oil, add sausage, onions and garlic and cook until sausage is completely cooked and onions are tender.
Add broth and potatoes and simmer for 15 minutes over medium heat.
Add kale, heavy whipping cream, Parmesan and season with salt and pepper. Then simmer for another 5 minutes.
Remove from heat & serve.