This Creamy Buffalo Chicken Soup is like eating buffalo wild wings but with a spoon and no messy fingers! An easy low-carb recipe ready in under 45 minutes.
This Creamy Buffalo Chicken Soup is ah-mazing and I am not a big wing person, really I am not. I love chicken, but I hate, HATE chicken wings or should I say cleaning up children after eating wings. They make a sticky, gooey mess and every time without fail, a barbecue smiley face either ends up on the sleeve of my shirt or my jeans from my kids “hugging” me aka actually using me as a napkin.
I made this soup after my sister showed me a recipe from Crockpot Gourmet for Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Chili. I wanted to make it, but after reviewing it, I knew not all of my family would be big fans, mainly due to the beans and ground chicken. But that night I had my heart set on buffalo sauce, that is when this soup came into fruition.
Here is what my hubby said after her took a couple of bites, “this is the best thing you have ever made, ever!” WHAT? Gasp. Really, he has some big favorites. But he said this takes the cake, literally he would rather have this over cake.
So calling all you wing lovers out there and moms who despise messy faces, try this Creamy Buffalo Chicken Soup. You won’t be disappointed in the flavor, it will taste just like the wings you are used to devouring.
Enjoy! XOXO San
How do you make Creamy Buffalo Chicken Soup?
My favorite kitchen tools used to make this Creamy Buffalo Chicken Soup:
This post may contain affiliate links. See my Full Disclosure for further details.
MEASURING CUPS: Nothing beats a good set of measuring cups that last a long time. I love metal measuring cups because of their durability.
MEASURING SPOONS: I have to have a metal set of measuring spoons on hand. The plastic ones just don’t last long in our house thanks in large part to the garbage disposal.
POTS: I am a total snob after having an assortment of pots in our cupboard over the years. After getting some Calphalon pots on sale at my local grocer, I won’t try anything else. They are affordable and durable – a win, win in our home.
COOKING UTENSILS: A nice set of cooking utensils is essential for many of my recipes.
LADLE: Easiest way to serve up this soup. I love using a long metal one – so that the handle isn’t hot where I am holding it – even if it is left in the pot.
Don’t forget to pin this to your favorite Pinterest board to save for later!
Creamy Buffalo Chicken Soup
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 14.5 ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Frank’s RedHot Wings Buffalo Sauce
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 ounce dry Ranch dressing packet
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 1/2 tablespoon flour
- 8 ounces cream cheese I used fat-free
- salt and pepper to taste
- blue cheese crumbles topping
- diced celery optional
- diced green onions optional
- In a Dutch-oven or large sauce pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs and season with salt and pepper, cook until a nice golden brown on each side and center is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside to cool. In the same pan, add the chicken broth, fire-roasted tomatoes, buffalo sauce, granulated garlic, onion powder, ranch packet, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- While it is simmering, chop chicken and set aside, then cut the cream cheese into cubes.
- Once the soup has simmered for 15 minutes, remove 1/2 cup of the soup and add in 1 1/2 tablespoon of flour and whisk together until smooth. Pour back into the pot and add in chicken and cream cheese chunks. Cover and let it cook for 5 minutes. Remove lid and stir, until the cream cheese has completely mixed in and melted into the soup. Add in corn, cover and simmer 10 minutes over low heat.
- Remove soup from heat and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve and top soup with blue cheese crumbles, and optional items such as diced celery and green onions.